6 December 2017 Annual Planning Meeting:
We had a very good Annual Planning Meeting this year, and our new 2018 Schedule of Events is now posted, as of 2017-12-09. 2018 should be full of great events, so please plan and look forward to more details as the year progresses.
16 November 2017 Holiday Dinner:
We had a great time at our annual holiday dinner this year! Lots of fun, gifts, food, and fantastic fellowship. Thanks to all of our officers for all your work putting this great event together again this year, and for making it so much fun for all!
- Members, please don't forget to attend our next annual planning meeting, to help us make next year another exciting success!
19 October 2017 Meeting:
- We saw some beautiful fall-color specimens this meeting, shown by their owners. Thank you for sharing!
- Use no-nitrogen fertilizers every 4 weeks this time of year.
20 July 2017 Meeting:
- Rapeseed balls for Junipers and Firs.
- Kelp meal - sprinkle on surface.
- Use doubled up terracotta pots for cuttings.
- An inexpensive substitute for Akadama is 'Spill cleanup' or cheap cat litter.
- Granite - a little more acidic.
- Large, plastic pot alternatives can be found at Fred Meyer - they include one large drainage hole.
- Can obtain from WoodCraft; use matt finish.
- Bondo has a product that repairs dry rot.
- Vasoline can be used for cut-wound sealing, or petroleum jelly. Easy to put on the end of a chop-stick.
16 March 2017 Meeting:
- Fertilize right out of the ground, March through June or July.
- Do not fertilize right after repotting - allow 4-6 weeks for roots to recover.
- Apply iron to Pines & Junipers to green them up.
- Sumo Cakes (4.5, 4.5, 4.5) - https://www.sumocakes.com.
- Rapeseed Fertilizer Cakes (5, 2, 1) - Stone Lantern Rapeseed.
- GreenDream Fertilizer Cakes (7, 5, 5) - Stone Lantern Green Dream.
- Dyno-gro Fertilizer (7, 9, 5) - Stone Lantern Dyno-gro Bonsai Pro.
- Fish Emulsion (5, 1, 1) - Walmart Alaska Fish Emulsion Plant Food.
Other topics discussed:
- Best to wire in Summer and Fall; not in Spring.
- Best time to repot evergreens is in June/July, after foliage is very strong; evergreen strength is in the foliage.
- When pruning Maples, always seal wounds. Maple wounds dry out and die back very easily; they also allow for infection.
- Demonstration on cleaning pots to prepare for display.
- 'Bar Keepers Friend' cleaning product can help clean stubborn hard-water stains from pots, etc. - Walmart Bar Keepers Friend.